The second of the five standards for school librarians established by the ALA / AASL focuses on Literacy and Reading. This standard highlights a school librarian’s responsibilities related to the promotion of reading and the development of literacy including familiarity with current trends in literature, modeling strong reading habits, emphasis on diversity, and effective instructional strategies related to reading skills.
Resources for Standard 2: Literacy and Reading
- Latest Study: A Full-Time School Librarian Makes a Critical Difference in Boosting Student Achievement
- The Necessity of Teaching Non-digital Literacy Skills
- Scholastic’s New Report Examines Kids’ Attitudes on Reading
- Student Read Alouds
- 100 Thinks Kids Will Miss if They Don’t Have a School Librarian in Their School, AASL
- Strong School Libraries Build Strong Students, AASL